A big thank you to my lovely friend and fellow @MDBloggersCrew member Kerry of ‘My Life, Kerry’s Way‘ for nominating me for the Liebster Award. It’s always so heartwarming when you get little reminders like this of how incredibly supportive the blogging community is, plus it gives me the opportunity to let my hair down and do down to earth post where readers can get to know me for me, not just for my campaign work and being a disabled parent.
So grab a warm cuppa because we’re going to dive right into it!
Kez’s 11 Questions
1. What is the silliest thing you’ve heard someone say about you?
It’s incredible how many people make silly assumptions about me. One that has stood out since I’ve had children is that people automatically assume I must have had a surrogate or my girls must be adopted because I am disabled.
2. Best childhood memory?
Going to Chester Zoo every year with my Dad, my brother too until it became not cool anymore haha!
3. What’s your favourite 5 emoji’s that you use?
😉 🙌 🙈 😍 ♿
4. Have you ever lied on your CV and what did you lie about?
When I was 16, I did a mock CV where I listed everything I wished was true. E.g I did actually work as an internet radio DJ in the MMORPG SecondLife, but in the CV I put a real-world radio station. However, I never had the guts to try and ‘fake it to make it’ by sending it to anyone. Too much of a goody-two-shoes and afraid of being found out.
5. What’s the worst food you’ve ever tried?
Sloppy joes when I lived in America. It’s literally minced beef in bolognese sauce on a sandwich. Just trying to describe it to those who have no idea what it is is making me want to vom. Never again!
6. If you could dis-invent something, what would it be and why?
I would dis-invent Instagram because it breaks my heart how damaging these photoshopped “influencers” are to average people, with average bodies. Women, men and children alike, it puts perfection in the human form on a pedestal and sets unrealistic expectations of one’s natural form. It’s unhealthy and more often than not, leads to so much self-hate.
7. Who would you lock up for a day and why?
President Trump, he absolutely does my head in! I imagine even one day without Trump in it, will lead to more good in America than years of him being in office…
8. What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done because a friend told you to?
I hate to admit it but I followed the sheep in secondary school and like so many others, tried to get in with the cool crowd.
One day, I learnt my lesson when one of the popular girls asked me to say something hurtful to my real friend and without thinking about how it may have made her feel, I did it. It was so long ago, I’ve forgotten what it was but I remember the look of humiliation on her face and everybody looking at her and whispering. I had sold my friend out, for a chance to been seen as “cool” by – who at that moment I realised were a very nasty bunch. I felt so awful for what I’d done and should have known better, that I burst out crying in the girls’ loos. Later apologising to my friend and explained that I was put up to it. I was taunted for a week for being a “grass” by the group of girls after some teachers assistants got wind of it, but I did not care. Real friendships trump popularity any day, though it’s a shame it takes events like this one for us to realise it.
9. If you could ask advice from a historical figure, who and what would you ask?
Helen Keller due to her disability – she no doubt felt very isolated at times. I would have loved the opportunity to ask her advice on how she protected her mental wellbeing at times when she felt the barriers were stacked against her.
10. If you could go back in time, what century and why?
I would go back to the 19th century, Victorian times just because I love the architecture of that time period, the design of their houses for example and have a keen interest on the women’s fashion of that era.
11. How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
I wouldn’t! Even Michael Jackson’s music video for ‘Thriller’ gives me the heeby-jeebies! I’d likely give myself a heart attack merely coming face to face with a real zombie. Definitely, don’t put me on your team if the world ever gets taken over by zombies, you’ll all be goners haha. Pathetic, yet true.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I really enjoy reading books by foster carers e.g Cathy Glass, Maggie Hartley, and Casey Watson. I have quite a high ranking on Audible now which I’m pretty proud of for some reason.
- I’m t-total because I don’t like the taste and effects of most alcohols, plus I just can’t drink if I’m not thirsty. Don’t enter me in any competitive drinking/eating competition, you’ll fall out with me lol
- As a child, I used to design and make my own dolls clothes by cutting up old fabric tea towels, clothes or other material my Mum had discarded and learnt to sew by hand. At one point everyone thought I’d grow up to be a seamstress or fashion designer.
- I suffered a heart attack in my late teens.
- As I was born in Glasgow and my Mum, Dad and brother had Glaswegian accents – so did I until I went to primary school. I still wish I had it because many people don’t believe I’m actually Scottish!
- I only have 1 tattoo and it’s for my Dad who we lost to Cancer.
- My favourite animals are elephants, not turtles…. to read why I refer to myself as a title in this blog visit the ‘Let’s Work Together!‘ page.
- I don’t walk in my dreams and I believe it’s because I don’t miss or am in any way bothered about that fact I can’t walk.
- My Mum kept my hair painfully short much of my life until I finally rebelled against her in my mid-teens. My signature long hair now is very much part of my identity and pride of my autonomy.
- I REALLY want to skydive for charity one day and am determined to make it happen.
- I secretly still love arts and crafts as much as I did as a child.
My nominees – in no particular order…
Carrie-Ann from CarrieAnnLightly.com
Liz from ‘Have you tried walking lately?‘
Lorna from ‘A Wheelie Great Adventure‘
Ella from ‘Ella Hollis‘
Jamie from ‘JamieHale.co.uk‘
Michaela from ‘Life with Hollywood‘
Holly from ‘Life of a Blind Girl‘
Heather from ‘Indypendent‘
Lovely lady, who I’ve spent 30 minutes trying to find her actual name from ‘DespitePain.com‘
Courtney from ‘Courtzmelv‘
Gem from ‘GemTurner.com
- Favourite place you’ve ever been or want to go?
- In your opinion, what’s been the best invention of all time and why?
- What colours/patterns does your wardrobe mostly consist of?
- If grades, degrees or ability weren’t an issue, what is your dream occupation?
- If you could teleport back in time to rectify or relive something in your life, when would it be and why?
- Say you were a scientist and you had the knowledge and power to develop a cure for one condition, just one, what condition would you choose to cure?
- What would your autobiography be called?
- If you were a character in a book, what book and character could we find you?
- What song from a famous musical best represents your life story?
- Best dream you’ve ever had that you actually remember?
- Are you a laptop or tablet/iPad kind of blogger?
Don’t forget to play by the rules everyone 😉